4.15.2009

The Cages

If you read my last post, you know that I am taking up a new sport: softball. To help in the process of actually playing I decided that it was time to face the cages. I am speaking of course about the batting cages, which I might add have a very nice staff. To avoid looking like a complete idiot I decided to enlist the help of a seasoned veteran and former dance queen Christy G. Although she has been out of the sport for a while, she did manage to save some necessities for a successful trip to the batting cages.  She arrived with everything a beginner would need: a bat (this I am told is key to hitting the ball), a batting helmet, glove oil, and a cap that you will see later. I think we must have looked extra pathetic because the nice man who runs it gave us 3 extra coins for no charge. We started on the fast pitch machine at 40 miles per hour and never really figured out that you can move the machine so the balls are actually in your strike zone. Needless to say, I think a 6 year old must have hit before us because they were so low Christy and I were practically playing golf. After a couple rounds we sped it up and had a good time laughing at each other. We definitely were entertaining if nothing else. Here are a couple pictures of us in action. 


This is me trying to not get hit when I first stepped into the cages. I have enough injuries as it is, there is no need to add to the list.    
   
This is me attempting to actually hit the ball.
  

For some strange reason (or the fact that I was using  a death grip the entire time) the bat made my hands all black. I guess softball really is a dirty sport. Notice also the great hat Christy brought me, I look very legitimate. 

Thanks for all your prayers and I will keep you updated on how the practice goes until I leave. 16 days to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment